Wondering about the definition of smörgåsbord? Keep reading to learn the meaning of smörgåsbord, see some examples, and get a better understanding of this travel glossary term!
What is a Smörgåsbord?
Smörgåsbord describes a Swedish customary feast, essentially a gluttonous meal that is usually celebratory, eaten on special occasions with friends or family over. Numerous hot and cold dishes are part of the traditional smörgåsbord.
A Christmas version of the smörgåsbord exists as the julbord.
More on Smörgåsbord
In a common smörgåsbord, multiple dishes, sometimes well over a dozen, are served as a buffet-style affair. Dishes in a smörgåsbord almost always include breads, butter, and cheeses, while other smörgåsbord items could be fish dishes (salmon or herring often), potatoes, sausages, and other hors d’oeuvres.
- 5+ Things to Do in Sweden: Best Places to Go, Sites to See & More
- Swedish Holidays: Important Events & Days Off for Sweden
- Sweden Travel Guide: Country & Destination Information for Visiting
- Sweden History: A Quick Timeline of Swedish Historical Events
- 5 Swedish Cultural Concepts to Understand Sweden
- A Gazillion Reasons Why Sweden Is Better
- The Vasa Museum & the Warship’s History, Stockholm, Sweden
Click below to return to the travel glossary for more travel words and phrases and their definitions.