Wondering about the definition of rack rate? Keep reading to learn the meaning of rack rate, see some examples, and get a better understanding of this travel glossary term!
What is the Rack Rate?
In hotel parlance, the rack rate is the list price (published price) of a hotel room before any discounts or promotions.
The rack rate is often much higher than any guest will pay, unless the guest books at the last moment, for example.
More on Rack Rates
Rack rates have been referred to as walk-up rates, meaning “they would be quoted to travelers who arrived without a reservation,” says USA Today.
- 35 Fun Hotel Facts: Interesting Facts About Hotels Around the World
- How to Check in Early at Hotels: 9 Tips for Early Check-In Hotel Success
- Hotel Overbooking: Why do Hotels Overbook Rooms? (& How to Deal With It)
- Types of Hotels: Complete Glossary of 30+ Hotel Types Terms Defined
- 25+ Types of Hotel Rooms from Singles to Presidential Suites & More
- Vacation Meal Plans: 10+ Hotel & Food Plans Defined (EP, AP, CP & More)
Click below to return to the travel glossary for more travel words and phrases and their definitions.