Wondering about the definition of archipelago? Keep reading to learn the meaning of archipelago, see some examples, and get a better understanding of this travel glossary term!
What is an Archipelago?
An archipelago is a geographical term for a group of islands, essentially.
Four types of archipelago exist:
- Oceanic Islands – Usually formed by volcanic eruption and located far from a continent, such as the Hawaiian Islands.
- Continental Fragments – Archipelagos formed by becoming detached from a continental mainland over time.
- Continental Archipelagos – Archipelagos close to a continental mainland and located on the same continental shelf.
- Artificial Archipelagos – Human-made archipelagos, such as the Palm Islands off the coast of Dubai.
More on Archipelagos
- Continent – Glossary Definition
- Estuary – Glossary Definition
- How Many Oceans Are There?
- Confluence – Glossary Definition
- Cape – Glossary Definition
- Cay – Glossary Definition
Click below to return to the travel glossary for more travel words and phrases and their definitions.