Here is a brief timeline of important events that have shaped the country of Poland; the focus here will be geared towards recent events (from 100 years ago or so), located towards the bottom, but we’ll begin with more ancient events first.
Timeline of Polish History & Important Historical Events
966 CE – ‘Baptism’ of Poland, Duke Mieszko I adopts Catholicism.
1025 – Bolesław I the Brave, the Duke of Poland, becomes the first King of Poland.
1326-1332 – Polish–Teutonic War
1493 – Polish ‘Sejm’ (Parliament) Founded
1519-1521 – Another Polish–Teutonic War
1863-1864 – January Uprising, Poland annexed by Russia.
1918 – Poland gains its independence.
1944 – Warsaw Uprising
1947 – Poland Becomes a Communist People’s Republic
1989 – Republic of Poland Established on 13 September
1999 – Poland Joins NATO
2004 – Poland Joins European Union.
For even more on Poland, check these articles out:
- 10 Poland Travel Tips: Things to Know Before Going to Poland
- 15+ Things to Do in Poland: Best Sites to Visit, Polish Places to Go & More
- Polish Holidays: Important Events & Days Off for Poland
- Kielce, Poland: A Day Trip Guide
- Jelenia Góra: Spending a Day at Poland’s “Deer Mountain”
- Łazienki Park in Warsaw, Poland: A Brief Travel Guide & Gallery
- Warsaw Travel Guide: What & Where to Go, See, Shop, Visit, Eat, Drink
- Stare Miasto w Warszawie: A Quick Tour of Warsaw’s Old Town