Ukraine: History & Timeline
Here is a brief timeline of important events that have shaped the country of Ukraine and its people; the focus here will be geared towards recent events (from 100 years ago or so), located towards the bottom, but we’ll begin with more ancient events first.
- Kievan Rus’882 CEKievan Rus’ begins with of Prince Oleg.
- Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth1569Ukraine falls under administration of Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth.
- Khmelnytsky Uprising1648Ukrainian Cossack rebellion.
- 'Partitions of Poland'1772 - 1795Western Ukraine falls under control of Austria-Hungary, the rest becomes part of Russian Empire.
- Ukrainian National RevivalMid-18th CenturyUkrainian nationality and identity to consider.
- Rada Council1917Central Rada (Council) forms in Kiev after collapse of Russian Empire.
- Ukraine Declares Independence1918
- Stalin's Famine1932Around 7 million killed during Stalin’s collectivization famine.
- Nazis Occupy1941 - 1944
- Tatars to Siberia1944Stalin deports almost a quarter million Tatars from Crimea to Siberia.
- WWII Ends1945Western portion of Ukraine annexed into Soviet Union as WWII ends.
- Chernobyl1986Chernobyl nuclear power station’s reactor explodes, causing infamous radioactive event.
- Independence1991Ukraine declares independence from USSR.
- Hryvnia Currency Introduced1996
- Orange Revolution2004
- Russia Annexes Crimea2014