Latvia: History & Timeline
Here is a brief timeline of important events that have shaped the country and its people; the focus here will be geared towards recent events (from 100 years ago or so), located towards the bottom, but we’ll begin with more ancient events first.
- Latvian National Council proclaims Latvia an independent nation.18 November 1918
- New Constitution1922
- PM Ulmanis Seizes Power1934Prime Minister Kārlis Ulmanis, in a coup d’état, seizes absolute power.
- Latvia Forced to Join Soviet Union1940
- Nazis Invade1941
- First Anti-Soviet Demonstrations1986
- Latvia Proclaims Independence from USSR4 May 1990
- Soviet Union Recognizes Latvian Independence1991
- Latvia Joins NATO2 April 2004
- Latvia Joins European Union1 May 2004
- Latvia Begins Using Euro1 January 2014The euro currency replaces Latvia’s lat.