Italy: History & Timeline
Here is a brief timeline of important events that have shaped the country and its people; the focus here will be geared towards recent events (from 100 years ago or so), located towards the bottom, but we’ll begin with more ancient events first.
- Mt. Vesuvius Erupts79 CE
- Flavius Odoacer Becomes First King of Italy476
- Charlemagne Becomes King of Lombards774
- Italian Renaissance14th through 16th Centuries
- Napoleon Occupies Rome1809Napoleon occupies Rome, exiles the Pope Pius VII, seizes the Papal art collections for the Louvre in Paris.
- Italy Joins Allies During World War I1915
- Mussolini Forms Government1922
- Lateran Treaty Creates Vatican City1929
- Italy Invades Ethiopia1935Subsequently banned from League of Nations.
- Mussolini Creates Rome-Berlin Axis with Nazi Germany1936
- Italian Start of WWII1940Italy invades Greece from occupied Albania.
- Albania is Occupied1939
- Italian Republic is Formed10 June 1946
- Italy Joins United Nations1955
- Italy is Founding Member of EEC1957The European Economic Community is the European Union predecessor.
- Italy Begins Using the Euro2002The Euro replaces the lira.
- Italy Accepted into Eurozone1999
- Summer Olympics in Rome1960