Here is a brief timeline of important events that have shaped Bulgaria and its people; the focus here will be geared towards recent events (from 100 years ago or so), located towards the bottom, but we’ll begin with more ancient events first.
Timeline of Bulgarian History & Important Historical Events
681 CE – First Bulgarian Empire, Bulgarian state founded as the First Bulgarian Empire begins.
1018-1185 – Byzantine Empire: Bulgaria is under the Byzantine Empire.
1878 – Treaty of San Stefano, Russia and Turkey recognize an autonomous Bulgaria.
1886 – Eastern Rumelia Merged with Bulgaria, Adds a sizable portion to the country, including the city Plovdiv.
1908 – Bulgarian Declaration of Independence, Independence from the Ottoman Empire was proclaimed on 5 Oct.
1914-1918 – World War I, Bulgaria is on Germany’s side during WWI.
1990 – Free Elections, First free elections after Soviet rule.
2004 – Becomes Member of NATO
2007 – Becomes Member of European Union
2010-Present – Schengen Membership Needs Work, Some European countries, specifically France and Germany, block Bulgaria from joining the Schengen Area until corruption and organized crime drops way down.
For more on Bulgaria, check these posts out:
- Bulgarian Holidays: Important Events & Days Off for Bulgaria
- Bread in Bulgaria: Meaning, Symbols, Traditions & Superstitions
- An Introduction to the Bulgarian Language
- Ruse, Bulgaria: A Local’s Guide to the Inside
- The Bulgarian Seaside for Every Kind of Traveler
- Plovdiv, Bulgaria: Ancient and Eternal
- Slavic Gods & Goddesses: Intro Into the Key Deities in Slavic Mythology
- Orthodox Christmas: When It’s Celebrated, History, and Holiday Traditions
- 7+ Things to Do in Bulgaria