If you’re looking for some facts about Afghanistan, you’ve come to the right place.
Whether you’re thinking of visiting Afghanistan in the future or just want to learn more about this South Asian country, this post has all the most interesting Afghanistan facts to know.
Here’s our roundup of the most interesting Afghanistan facts:
1. Afghanis is not what you call the people of Afghanistan. That’s actually the money. The proper demonym for the people of Afghanistan is Afghan.
2. The national sport in Afghanistan is buzkashi, or “goat pulling.” Often played on Fridays, buzkashi is a Central Asian sport where players mounted on horses attempt to place a goat carcass into a goal.
3. Dari and Pashto are the Afghanistan’s official languages. Most Afghans can speak both. Dari is a variety of Persian (Farsi), while Pashto is spoken primarily by Pashtuns, though the national anthem of Afghanistan is also in Pashto.
4. Nowruz is New Year’s Day in Afghanistan, on March 21, the first day of spring. This is because they follow the Hijri solar calendar, similar to Iranians.
5. The world’s oldest oil paintings were found in Afghanistan. Found inside the Bamiyan caves, the oil paintings on the wall date back to the around 650 CE, hundreds of years before Europe’s first oil painting.
7. Afghanistan is not technically in the Middle East. However, due to the fact that it shares plenty of culture and history with the countries of the Middle East, some experts consider it to be classified into the Greater Middle East region.
Well, that’s all our Afghanistan facts for now, and we hope you’ve found this post interesting and informative! Do you have any questions, feedback, or other facts about Afghanistan we should include on our list? Let us know below in the comments, and thanks for reading!